Saturday, February 03, 2007

My Vista Experience

I Installed Vista on my system.(Thank you FireFox for the assistance :D)

Pros: 1. Vista definately looks better
2. I Somehow have shared video memory (only with vista :D) Now I have 512 MB of video Memory
3.Booting is faster(unexpected surprise)
4.Ram Boost really works but you need a flash drive 4 times the size of your ram to make it work properly. With 1GB ram and a 4gb flash rive i got a performance equivalent to 2 Gb ram
5.Media player 11 is reasonable
6.System tools are much better organized and powerfull(read as linux like :P)

Cons: 1.Vista is a resource hog. Minimum requiremnts are too high
2.Degraded gaming performance. Now this might be down to the drivers but i have the latest nVidia drivers for vista. Generally there was a 10%-20% drop in FPS for most games I tried(q4,fear,nfs-c,bf2). You can expect this problem to go away as better drivers come out
3.OS occupies too much disc space. Xp took about 1.5 Gb. Vista takes 7.5 Gb !
4.Indexing is crap. It occupies a lot of space(2 gb), memory (about 20 mb) and is totally unintelligent.

My Verdict- Most of us don't have systems that can run vista properly. By properly i mean avoiding long delays to do simple stuff. If you want to run vista properly make sure you have
1. DVD Rom(for installation :D)
2. Atleast 1 GB ram
3.GeForce 6/7/8 or ati X1000 (integrated graphics suk big time)
4. Vista Drivers for your Hardware(although vista does support a lotta stuff better to have drivers supplied by your manufacturer)
5. And yes of course the crack :P

Please leave your vista experiences/questions as comments :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what was ur vista performance index and the indexes of individual tests

ShArK said...

If I remember correctly
RAM - 4.9
Processor - 5.1
graphics for aero 5.9
Graphics for games 5.2
hdd - 4.1

I guess i got screwed by my hdd. Well it's a 5400 ide :( disadvantage of having a laptop

Himanshu said...

did u try Flip 3D, Live Thumbnails, windows calendar , gadgets... There's lotta stuff to be explored in Vista..
and also don't forget to see new games .. 3D chess titans is jst awesome.

ShArK said...

@beegle I tried all that stuff but how much of flip 3-d are we gonna use in real life? Gadgets aren't that new. You could have similar stuff in any other windows. Thumbnails is ok. You sound kind of pro M$. I wonder why :P

Anonymous said...

tell me when u get the non-beta version. and send me the link too.

ShArK said...

@playboi I sm using the NON-BETA version :P And your company has given me horrible drivers. Shame on nVidia

Anonymous said...

all these features are just fancy names
I dont find them as useful

and yeah beegle too pro M$

Anonymous said...

people just dont seem to believe that this is the non-beta version

Himanshu said...

@Shark,Sleepers

Well, I may sound pro M$ but I was really impressed with some of the features which might have required lotta engineering behind them, though I seriously think that there's no need at all to upgrade to vista if you are on winxp sp2 already.(atleast for 2 yrs)
But as new technology evolves, Vista is the future!