Saturday, December 26, 2009

The rubbish that is called a HSSM course.

After looking at the HSSM's being offered being offered next semester I could broadly put them into 2 categories. The eight courses being offered are evenly divided between the two categories.

1. Courses offered by the brotherhood of JV
2. The rest.

Some of the important areas where we offer no courses are

1. Economics.
2. Finance
3. Literature
4. Public Administration
5. Law
6. Sociology (There are courses offered by Anuja Madan and Romesh Singh but it's more of an exception)
7. Management
8. History

There is much more and I could go on forever .... I hope you get the picture.

Why should students be forced to study such limited offerings, in some cases taught by inexperienced, self styled "Gurus" with no objective evaluation of the course content. Is there no objection from the side of the faculty ?

If a UG student must do 20 credits from within this set of courses, we should seriously reconsider having compulsory HSSMs. I couldn't find more rubbish even if I looked in a garbage dump.

11 comments:

Bharat said...

OK, this is really not a good time to piss off the "gurus".
And, DON'T reply back to this with some daring-baaj comment.

ShArK said...

Teri body kisi kaam ki nahin. Tu aur tera guru..... dono phattu ho :P

mythalez said...

you havent substantiated your claims that the offerings are of a low quality :P

ShArK said...

@mythalez: For your benefit I present a story.

Random Person: Tell me what Nirvana is!
Saint : It cannot be explained. It must be experienced.

Similarly HSSMs at IIIT cannot be described. They must be experienced. You are jobless these days. Use one of these days to experience some of these divine courses.

mythalez said...

i experienced enough of those courses over my 4 yr stay ... not including the amazing open-electives

but still, you claim, you ought to substantiate .. atleast with such quaint stories :P

ShArK said...

@mythalez

On a more serious note : I actually made no comments on the quality of the courses (yet!). My problem is with the lack of diversity. You cannot have 4 HSSMs that are essentially a proxy for JV. It's damn unprofessional.

Anonymous said...

can you actually copy paste the list of HSSMs being offered ? .. I really want to see what is it tat you call pro-JV or proxy-JV .. i think the problem lies there

Abhishek said...

I agree. Courses on literature, economics etc. were offered till last semester. :( I'm glad I finished my credits of HSSMs till last semester!!

@nks said...

totally agree with you this time... i've seen the list ...

quest human society ?? vedic darshan ??
Como on, Give those poor kids chance to breath ...

sashidhar said...

self styled gurus!!! that was so awesome. I can't stop laughing. hohohohohoho........

Anonymous said...

all you seem to know is to crib crib and crib more ...

happy cribbing ...