Saturday, January 09, 2010

Interview Shinterview contd....

Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I did not get shortlisted by IBM IRL. I spent the whole day wondering why I did not manage to get shortlisted by a company where I have enough research work in 3 different areas that I could easily fit into 3 different groups at their lab. I thought it might be GPA, but they shortlisted people with lower GPA's. Was it the level/quality of publications ? Was it the nature of my work ...what the bloody hell was it ? Chunni (aka Anshul )spent an hour calming me down and told me that it might be something as simple as them not having a vacancy in any of the groups that I can fit into !

I also kind of figured out that things like A+ and A are truly meaningless methods of classifying research work when it comes to placements (Many would feel that it's a stupid way of classifying work for any purpose !). One man's A+ is another mans F-. I will take this opportunity to welcome myself to the club of people wondering why they haven't been shortlisted or selected.

I was also happy that Bharat Joshi got his first interview today. The guy is smarter than most 9 pointers you would meet and a bumper job would be fair reward for some smooth work he has done over the years. I am also sure that the IBM people would have liked some nice lessons on secure multiparty computation from Hans :)

more to follow...

2 comments:

Raul said...

The guy from IBM didn't look smart at all. The presentation wasn't worth attending, which I did.
Pioneers - yes, yesteryears were the days when that happened.

"We want someone, who can apply their knowledge to build solutions that are relevant today." This was the only statement in his presentation that was fluent enough to be understood by everybody present.

Me, and Sathya came out wondering - What the hell they want?

GLOBALEDUCATIONCOUNSEL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.